Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Quotes.

I use quotes in my daily life, constantly even references I make can be a mere projections of images.

On Jane Austen's death bed her sister Cassandra asked if she needed anything, Austen replied, ''I want nothing but death."

‎"Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies.", Voltaire as he was asked to renounce satan.

"I have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have.", Leonardo da Vinci. This one always gets me...

Hunter S. Thompson, "Let us toast to animal pleasures, to escapism, to rain on the roof and instant coffee, to unemployment insurance and library cards, to absinthe and good-hearted landlords, to music and warm bodies and contraceptives... and to the ‘good life,’ whatever it is and wherever it happens to be."

All the world's a stage,and all the men and women merely players:they have their exits and their entrances;and one man in his time plays many parts..." Shakespeare

There are these two young fish swimming along and they happen to meet an older fish swimming the other way, who nods at them and says "Morning, boys. How's the water?" And the two young fish swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes "What the hell is water?", David Foster Wallace

‎"You know that song 'If a body catch a body comin' through the rye'?
I'd like — ""It's 'If a body meet a body coming through the rye'!" old Phoebe said.
"It's a poem. By Robert Burns.""I know it's a poem by Robert Burns.
"She was right, though. It is "If a body meet a body coming through the rye." I didn't know it then, though."I thought it was 'If a body catch a body,'" I said "Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around — nobody big, I mean — except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff — I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy." - From Catcher in the Rye

‎"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temperary; the evil it does is permanent.", Gandhi

“Never cease loving a person, and never give up hope for him, for even the prodigal son who had fallen most low, could still be saved; the bitterest enemy and also he who was your friend could again be your friend; love that has grown cold can kindle” Kierkegaard

"The relativism which is not willing to speak about truth but only about ‘what is true for me’ is an evasion of the serious business of living. It is the mark of a tragic loss of nerve in our contemporary culture. It is a preliminary symptom of death." — Lesslie Newbigin

"the Christian story provides us with a set of lenses, not something for us to look at but to look throuugh." Newbigin

Friends applaud, the comedy is finished.~~ Ludwig van Beethoven before he died.

‎"I have just had eighteen whiskeys in a row. I do believe that is a record.", Dylan Thomas just before he died.

We are so obsessed with doing that we have no time and no imagination left for being. As a result, men are valued not for what they are but for what they do or what they have - for their usefulness. Thomas Merton

‎"All emotions, and that one[love] particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a lover he would have placed himself in a false position.", Watson "the sign of four" his thoughts on Holmes.

‎"Governments show thus how successfully men can be imposed on, even impose on themselves, for their own advantage.", Thoreau

"If God's on our side he'll stop the next war..." Dylan

"A day without laughter is a day wasted."

In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place. Mohandas Gandhi

We are not at peace with others because we are not at peace with ourselves, and we are not at peace with ourselves because we are not at peace with God. Thomas Merton

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.", Jesus

"Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul. ", St. Augustine

"The oppressed are freed from being oppressed and the oppressors are freed from being oppressors.", Tutu

We cannot fully recover until we help the society that made us sick recover."

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.", Cantona

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici", some German fellow.

"I accept Chaos, I don't know wether or not chaos accepts me.", Dylan

"Do not act as if you were going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over you. While you live, while it is in your power, be good.", Marcus Aurelius

"He is best of all who himself conceiveth all things; Good again is he too who can adopt a good suggestion; But whoso neither of himself conceiveth nor hearing from another Layeth it to heart; - he is a useless man.", Aristotle

"No fear, no distractions, the ability to let that which does not matter, truly slide.", Tyler Durden.

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temperary; the evil it does is permanent.", Ghandi

"NEW YORK TIMES! NEW YORK TIMES! Think your better than us, us, US!? U.S, U.S.A, NO WAY! The end.", McGiurk

"Well you never know.", Dylan.

"Soccer isn't about life or death, it's more important than that."

"Not all who are wander are lost.", Tolkien.

"Tell me, I'll go along with you if I can or I'll find somebody to go along with you."
"I'm really, you have no idea of why you are popular or as to how you are popular."
"It's just that I haven't really struggled for that, I don't uh.. it happened, ya know? It happened like anything else happens. Just a happening. You don't try to figure out happenings. You dig happenings, so I'm not even going to talk about it."

"Be content with what you are, and wish not changer; nor dread your last day. Nor long for it.", Marcus Aurelius

We can tell the world of life after death but what the world seems to be wonder about is life before death."

"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for everyone's greed.", Ghandi

"There is an Eastern fable, told long ago, of a traveller overtaken on a plain by an enraged beast. Escaping from the beast he gets into a dry well, but sees at the bottom of the well a dragon that has opened its jaws to swallow him. And the unfortunate man, not daring to climb out lest he should be destroyed by the enraged beast, and not daring to leap to the bottom of the well lest he should be eaten by the dragon, seizes s twig growing in a crack in the well and clings to it. His hands are growing weaker and he feels he will soon have to resign himself to the destruction that awaits him above or below, but still he clings on. Then he sees that two mice, a black one and a white one, go regularly round and round the stem of the twig to which he is clinging and gnaw at it. And soon the twig itself will snap and he will fall into the dragon's jaws. The traveller sees this and knows that he will inevitably perish; but while still hanging he looks around, sees some drops of honey on the leaves of the twig, reaches them with his tongue and licks them. So I too clung to the twig of life, knowing that the dragon of death was inevitably awaiting me, ready to tear me to pieces; and I could not understand why I had fallen into such torment. I tried to lick the honey which formerly consoled me, but the honey no longer gave me pleasure, and the white and black mice of day and night gnawed at the branch by which I hung. I saw the dragon clearly and the honey no longer tasted sweet. I only saw the unescapable dragon and the mice, and I could not tear my gaze from them. and this is not a fable but the real unanswerable truth intelligible to all.

The deception of the joys of life which formerly allayed my terror of the dragon now no longer deceived me. No matter how often I may be told, "You cannot understand the meaning of life so do not think about it, but live," I can no longer do it: I have already done it too long. I cannot now help seeing day and night going round and bringing me to death. That is all I see, for that alone is true. All else is false.

The two drops of honey which diverted my eyes from the cruel truth longer than the rest: my love of family, and of writing--art as I called it--were no longer sweet to me.", Tolstoy - Confessions

"All the world's a stage,and all the men and women merely players:they have their exits and their entrances;and one man in his time plays many parts..." Shakespeare

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up."
— Hunter S. Thompson

If you have wisdom, offer it. If you do not or it is not the right time nor place, offer tea and your company instead.

They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!" -Kerouac, on the road

I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till I drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion. -Kerouac, on the road

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is.", Dylan

"Before God I am equally wise as I am equally foolish.", an altered Einstein quote.

"When did we see each other face-to-face? Not until you saw into my cracks and I saw into yours. Before that, we were just looking at ideas of each other, like looking at your window shade but never seeing inside. But once the vessel cracks, the light can get in. The light can get out." — John Green

"Youth is counted sweetest by those who are no longer young. Nostalgia is inevitably a yearning for a past that never existed.", Green

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.'”, Leo Tolstoy

Fry, "You could've picked a better time to dump the ship, Bender"
Bender, "The moment seemed right. Call me old fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating."

Gonna try and remember this one daily.
“Don’t be afraid to be a fool. Remember, you cannot be both young and wise. Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying yes begins things. Saying yes is how things grow. Saying yes leads to knowledge. “Yes” is for young people. So for as long as you have the strength to, say yes.”
— Stephen Colbert

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." Douglas Adams

That's all I got.

No comments: