Saturday, February 19, 2011

Love is all, from what I've heard, but my heart's learned to kill, Tallest Man

I wonder how much I really notice going on. Most likely a fraction of a fraction, since most of the world is infinitely laced and multi-paralleled.




She turns around, not angry but comfortable and retorts with a story, "There are these two young fish swimming along and they happen to meet an older fish swimming the other way, who nods at them and says 'morning, boys. How's the water?' and the two young fish swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes 'what the hell is water?'" (I later found this was from a commencement speech by David Foster Wallace.)

She continues before I can interrupt, in which I do often. So I understand her forcefulness, "A man gave this speech for college grads and kind of emphasized what it is we should focus on. You are no old fish to tell the world that water or air exists, neither am I, but what it is, is we are the young fish who do not even realize we are in water. Not getting that the water is stabilizing or that is where you've been the whole time. Which inevitably leads you to forget that outside the water is another reality because you miss THIS reality right now. This you and me and everyone we know reality. You can pick every friend or relative and how things happen in life, but happenings still happen. You can't fix everything or intellectually decide all details. Sherlock Holmes you aren't. So deal with the fact your reality right now is, your friends are who they are. So stop distracting yourself from today and where we are. Get out of your own head once and a while." She pauses for a second, and swallows trying not to cry. She picks back up again. She's right though, if it was a lie I would be outraged and stop this ''massacre.'' She speaks the Gospel, all true. It stings, but hell... she's so right, she can't be more correct.

"I dig you, I really do. You quote Dylan with his happenings but you don't go with it as you talk about. You dig experience and you discuss tradition but you stray away from both, tearing either apart because... I get it, I know you're smart. No one is questioning this. Let those combine, experience traditions and happenings. Even do so reasonably, but don't reason yourself out of them entirely. I know I'm not the best at this, but we can better ourselves at it daily, are not even the birds in the sky taken care of? Why worry about tomorrow?" I lift my head and smirk... all I can do is meander closer to her to put my hand on the back of Diana's head to pull her close to my lips. So I may kiss her gently on her forehead. All I wish to do is hug her, just stand there and hug. For I have no more words. In that moment all I wish to say is to signify I get it. I struggle to find the words, the right words in the moment. I decide to just flow, because I'm over thinking... I uttered simply, ''This is right, this moment feels proper." As tear drops roll down our cheeks we smile while in this compassionate embrace. Tomorrow is tomorrow and an hour is an hour, but right now is perfect.

No comments: